Thursday, November 21, 2013

Creative Flow Activated!

It seems my posts have gotten further and further apart. The simple truth is, life as a mother and homemaker is busy. I wish there were more time for my creative pursuits, but that will come. In theory. At the very least, I will soon, finally, FINALLY have a proper desk in my writing studio/laundry room, with a view of our yard full of trees and wildlife to inspire me while I work. It is no small thing. I have never had a designated place to write before, and with the awesome counter space in there I should be able to set up a fantastic creative space.

In the meantime, I have been trying to fit in the creative stuff when I can. I did my first ever artisan market in September at the Prospect Lake Community Hall. Truthfully, the profits were pitiful. It poured rain, which I think hurt all of us vendors - I was not the only one to pack up most of what I had come with at the end of the day. That said, I met some really great people and neighbours, and had a great time coming up with products to sell. Here are a couple of pictures:

First business cards - very makeshift!
I only managed three of my painted signs, but I am thrilled with how they turned out. I did them freehand.


Brown sugar fudge, fresh organic sage (grew it myself), fig and roasted garlic compote (made with figs from a friend's farm nearby).
I also did burlap & lace headwraps, with vintage lace and vintage brooches, and a pile of earrings, necklaces and bracelets.


 So...all in all, I finally made some great stuff, but the venue did not prove successful. Will have to put some thought into that. My girlfriend Kristin and I came up with the Two Sparrows concept, and she has more market experience thanks to a venture she and her husband started a few years back selling specialty teas and body/bath products. So once we get a grip on how to run a household, raise our littles AND generate time for our creative business, we'll be off like a shot.

In the meantime, I am off to start my Christmas shopping, which I am determined to get done early this year! The kids and I made snowglobes last night with their friends, inspired by this pin from Pinterest: waterlesssnowglobe8.jpg . They turned out quite adorably! I picked up a few of those little figurines you can buy for Christmas Village displays, and each kid got to pick one of them and one tree. I plan to make more, and have many other ideas for gifts I will make in the next week or so. Will try to get back here with some photos when I am done!

By the way, I want to share my newest mentor with you. Kelly Rae Roberts is an amazing creative genius, artist and, by her own description, "Possibilitaran" who inspires me with pretty much everything she does. And what she does, to be specific, is run her own creative empire while raising her son. Kind of exactly my dream job. So while the pieces come together, her reality is one I aspire to. Check her out: http://kellyraeroberts.com/ .

Now, go and have a beautiful day.


No comments: